Families and anyone interested can join us at the Northern Illinois Food Bank in the afternoon for hours of fun, hands on activities to get us ready for Spring! Learn about seed starting, cooking with local foods in the winter, healthy meal planning, and more.
- 1:30 PM: Planning and Planting a Veggie Garden, with local Master Gardeners
- Includes hands on seed starting activity designed for kids! Learn to feed your whole family the fruits and vegetables they enjoy from your own garden. From site preparation (size, location and soil) through harvest, a Master Gardener will give your audience the tips and tricks for successful vegetable gardening. Topics covered include garden layout, selecting plants and seeds, timing your plantings, tending and more.
- 2:30 PM: Eating Healthy Fruits and Vegetables, with local nutrition educators from University of Illinois Extension
- Make a winter salad with freshly grown greens (yes, you can grow greens in the winter!)
- 3:00 PM: Hands on salad making
- 3:15 PM: Tower Garden Chat
- Learn all about indoor, aeroponic Tower Garden systems and how they are helping grow food all year in Kane County schools