Lesson 10. What’s In Soil? (Page 57)
- Students will analyze soil samples and identify the five components of soil
- Students will predict how organic matter breaks down to form healthy soil
- Students will assemble “ingredients” and create the beginnings of soil
- Students will be able to list the various beneficial minerals for soil.
- Students will be able to list various food sources of common, important minerals, iron, sodium, potassium, calcium and describe how they benefit human bodies and plants.
PREP 10 Minutes
COOK 0 Minutes
- 2 cups cold milk
- 1 package chocolate instant pudding
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 1 (16 ounce) package Oreo cookies (crushed)
- Also need 8 to 10 (7 oz.) Clear plastic Cups.
- Decorations: gummy worms, gummy frogs, candy flowers, chopped peanuts.
- Pour milk into a large mixing bowl.
- Add pudding mix.
- Beat with whisk until well blended, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in whipped topping and half of the crushed cookies.
- Place 1 tablespoon crushed cookies into bottom of cups.
- Fill cups 3/4 full with pudding mixture.
- Top with remaining crushed cookies.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Decorate with the candy.
Core Curriculum Standards
Reading Standards for Informational Text: (RI)
- 1.1- 6.1: Ask and answer questions about key details in a text.
- 1.2- 6.2: Identify the main topic and retell key details of a text.
- 1.3- 6.3: Describe the connection between two individuals, events, ideas, or pieces of information in a text.
- 1.7- 6.7: Use the illustrations and details in a text to describe its key ideas.
Reading Standards: Foundational Skills: (RF)
- 1.4- 6.4: Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension.
Writing Standards: (W)
- 1.2-6.2: Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly.
Speaking and Listening Standards: (SL)
- 1.4- 6.4: Report on a topic or text, or present an opinion.
- 1.1- 6.1: Participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about topics and texts with peers and adults in small and larger groups.
Language Standards: (L)
- 1.1-6.1: Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.