Food and agriculture education is a central aspect of robust farm to school programs. Education in farm to school is not prescriptive and can encompass:
- Taste tests in the classroom or cafeteria
- Cafeteria displays and service line education components
- Science based horticulture or botany education
- Classroom cooking lessons
- Handouts on different foods
- Handouts on different plants
- Curriculum modules
- School Farmstand or Farmer’s Market activities
- And more!
Without an educational element, farm to school programs are less able to impact their students’ attitudes, knowledge and behaviors around food.
The Illinois Farm to School Network provides resources to all Illinois school districts for education in farm to school programs. This website is populated with resources and tools for every aspect of farm to school education. Do you have a story about your school’s educational programs or are you able to donate your curriculum to our resource guide? Contact the IFSN to have your materials included.