- Students will evaluate which plants are “weeds” in the garden
- Students will name beneficial and/or harmful properties of weeds
- Students will list the nutritional benefits of some “weeds” (Dandelion greens).
- Students will list types and the benefits of dark leafy greens (Nutritional benefits, vitamins minerals).
SAUTEED DANDELION GREENS
Makes 8 servings
- 3 pound dandelion greens, tough lower stems discarded and leaves cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red-pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
Cook greens in a 10-to 12-quart pot of boiling salted water (3 tablespoons salt for 8 quarts water), uncovered, until ribs are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain in a colander, then rinse under cold water to stop cooking and drain well, gently pressing out excess water.
Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat until it shimmers, then cook garlic and red-pepper flakes, stirring, until pale golden, about 45 seconds. Increase heat to medium-high, then add greens and sea salt and sauté until coated with oil and heated through, about 4 minutes.
Core Curriculum Standards
Reading Standards for Informational Text: (RI)
- 1.2- 6.2: Identify the main topic and retell key details of a text.
- 1.3- 6.3: Describe the connection between two individuals, events, ideas, or pieces of information in a text.
- 1.7- 6.7: Use the illustrations and details in a text to describe its key ideas.
Reading Standards: Foundational Skills: (RF)
- 1.4- 6.4: Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension.
Writing Standards: (W)
- 1.2-6.2: Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly.
Speaking and Listening Standards: (SL)
- 1.4- 6.4: Report on a topic or text, or present an opinion.
- 1.1- 6.1: Participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about topics and texts with peers and adults in small and larger groups.
Language Standards: (L)
- 1.1-6.1: Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.