Schools that participate in the National School Lunch Program should incorporate local foods in their menus in ways that coordinate with the school nutrition guidelines.
Illinois Farm to School Network has a series of Mighty Mini Videos to assist schools in every aspect of farm to school programming. Check out the training videos on the Mighty Mini video tab.
There are many resources for food service directors to use when planning menu items that use local foods.
- Nutritious and Seasonal Recipes for School Cooks by School Cooks
- From the Vermont Department of Education
- Menu Planning for Farm to School Programs
- From the USDA FNS
- Recipes for Healthy Kids Cookbook
- From the USDA Team Nutrition
If your school needs support, including:
- Food prep materials, such as knives and cutting boards,
- Skills training for staff,
- Storage space for perishable goods,
- Storage space for frozen goods,
- Recipes and food production technical assistance,
- Incorporating scratch cooking,
- Salad bars,
- And, much more!
Contact the Illinois Farm to School Network. We have the tools and technical assistance to assist you!