The freshest and most delicious food comes from local producers. Sourcing local food for your ECE program can be easy and fun while allowing you to grow community connections with local producers. The USDA Food and Nutrition Service supports local foods in Child and Adult Care Food Programs.
Check out these great resources for more information on how to get started with sourcing local food for your ECE program:
Finding and Buying Local Foods
- Local Procurement For Child Care Centers [PDF] by National Farm to School Network
- Local Purchasing For Family Child Care Providers [PDF] by National Farm to School Network
- Local Food For Little Eaters [PDF] by Michigan State University Center for Regional Food Systems
- How to Buy, Prepare, & Serve Local Foods [PDF] by Community Groundworks
- Community Food Systems – Procuring Local Foods [website] by USDA
Using Local Foods:
- Recipes for Healthy Kids [PDF] by Let’s Move
- Save Time and Money in the Kitchen Video Series [website] by Twist and Sprout
Register for Harvest of the Month to get access to more resources for your Early Care Center.